Category: Anxiety, Mental Health,
- Anxiety disorders are the most commonly reported mental health problem in Australia, affecting at least 14% of the population aged 16–85 years.
- Under-recognition of anxiety and mood disorders by patients means the average time from symptom onset to seeking help is 8.2 years.
- Health professionals are encouraged to select and tailor treatment for anxiety disorders in collaboration with each patient.
- CBT is an appropriate first-line treatment for almost all types of anxiety disorders.
- When medicine is needed, SSRIs are the recommended first-line medicine choice.